Bad weather across the range kept the May 29 crew sitting tight in high camp as the snow fell and the wind blew. Let’s hope for better weather down the road….
The team is hiking on tundra less than 24 hrs. from their pickup at the Denali National Park gate. If everything goes smooth they should be in the Mountain Trip van headed to Anchorage by 3pm tomorrow.
The team traveled to Talkeetna and checked in with Park Service, weighed their bags at the air taxi service and filled their water bottles, but the weather didn’t cooperate and they spent the first night of their trip in Talkeetna. Guides call this the ‘hurry up and wait’ attitude, and it is a theme to…
Mike called to report a successful rest day at high camp. Guide Sean McManamy is descending to basecamp with Shaun Gilbert and a guest from another expedition, they should be in basecamp at the time of this posting. Everything is OK but Shaun had some issues with the altitude that warranted descent to friendlier elevations.
Durny and company took a much-deserved rest day at 17,200′ camp yesterday to recover from their long, hard move from 14 camp the day before. Their plan is now to wait for conditions that allow for a summit bid. Today? Tomorrow? Time and weather will tell.
[audio:http://mountaintripdenali2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/audio-post-2011-06-13-06-38-39.mp3|titles=Audio Post] To summarize: the team made a carry to high camp today, everyone moved well with steeper terrain. They plan to move to high camp tomorrow and will be “poised for a summit bid from there”. Adams sends “Congratulations to Katie and Drew (for what???) ” and wishes Janelle a good trip.