Trip Reports

May 6 Team Moves To Camp 1

Goulven Couzon lest a message in French that (I believe, and please correct me if I’m wrong in the comments) John Molloy then translated for us (j’ai oubliez mon français…).  The team has moved up the Kahiltna Glacier approximately five miles (8km) and established camp at the junction of the Kahiltna and the Northeast Fork…

May 3 Denali Team Backcarry and a storm

The May 3rd team went back down to where they’d cached their extra food, fuel, and equipment and brought it all back up to Camp 2 (11,000 ft) today. It was a pretty stormy day Jacob (lead guide with 20 Denali Expeditions) said it was one of the top 2 stormy windy days he’s had…

May 3 Denali Team Moves To Camp 2

Fred de Jong called in on behalf of our May 3rd team.  After a day of heavy snow yesterday, the team awoke to beautiful weather today and took advantage of clear skies to move their camp up to 11,200′ (3414m).  They are now camped in a beautiful basin with views of the West Buttress looming…

May 3 Denali Team cached at 10,500′

Guide Mason Stansfield called in an update for the May 3 Denali Expedition from the upper Kahiltna. The team spent yesterday caching at Kahiltna Pass, at around 10,500′. Since the team is climbing in expedition-style, they will spend many days “caching”–burying gear, food and supplies that they wont need until later on in the trip–and…

May 6 Team waiting to fly, rain in Talkeetna

Mountain Trip lead guide Brian Kramp called in an update for the May 6 team, who have been waiting to fly in to the Range in Talkeetna, due to persistent rainy weather. They’re unfortunately the first team of the season to experience the infamous “Talkeetna Hang,” where climbing parties are forced to wait in the…

May 3 Denali Team caches above Camp One

Climber Robert de Jong called in an update for the May 3 Denali Team from Camp One on the Kahiltna Glacier. They spent yesterday ascending Ski Hill, directly above camp, to set a cache near Kahiltna Pass, at approximately 10,500′ (2875m) to prepare for the move to Camp Two at 11,200′. Sporadic snow and clear…

May 3 Team at Camp 1

The climbers loaded up all of their gear, clothing, food and fuel for the next 20+ days into their packs and sleds this morning for the move up to Camp 1.  These will be the biggest loads they’ll carry for the entire trip, above here they’ll be “double carrying” as well as eating through their…