Guided Backcountry Skiing
Mountain Trip offers guided backcountry ski and splitboard outings for all abilities in the southwest corner of Colorado, around Telluride. The opportunities for steep, aesthetic couliors, low-angle, powder-filled glades, and beautiful high alpine bowls are endless. We can craft the ideal day of backcountry touring for all levels, hut trips in the area, as well as instructional courses for beginners and experienced backcountry travelers alike. If you’re simply wanting to avoid the crowds of the resort, or you have been eying a technical ascent and descent of a local 14,000′ peak, Mountain Trip can help you get there.
We provide instruction and guiding for you to navigate avalanche terrain, or to gain the confidence to drop into steep lines and beautiful couloirs beneath towering peaks.
The snowpack in the San Juan mountains is unique in many ways, with cold temperatures and high altitudes, we can find great powder during, or long after a storm. Our local Telluride guides are familiar with the local snowpack and are avalanche professionals with extensive training and experience. Mountain Trip is accredited by the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) and our lead guides all have AMGA ski guide trainings and/or certifications.
Mountain Trip is the only guide service in southwest Colorado to be accredited by the AMGA and we bring our skills and experience guiding the world’s tallest peaks home to the Telluride area.
Contact us today to start planning your backcountry adventure.
Included: Beacon, Shovel, Probe.
Available for rent: Alpine Touring boots, Alpine Touring skis with skins, Airbag Pack.
We also offer various skills courses, detailed below, and we are happy to work with you to create customized excursions and large group outings.
Avalanche Rescue Course 2018-19:
- A one day course designed to teach and refresh avalanche skills. CLICK HERE to read more.
- How to react in the immediate aftermath of a partner burial.
- Multiple beacon searches and burial triage.
- Mitigating further risk when evacuating an injured partner.
- Includes one day in the field and scenarios tailored to student’s needs/skill level.
- 2018-19 course dates: December 15, January 19.
- Book this online course through our affiliate, Silverton Avalanche School. Contact the Mountain Trip office with any questions.
Backcountry Essentials, ‘Beyond Avy 1’ Course:
- The proper use of backcountry equipment (beacon, shovel, probe, skins, AT bindings, etc.)
- Route planning, route finding, and mitigating avalanche risk
- How to ascend efficiently through using proper kick-turn and touring form
- Travel techniques in the backcountry with an emphasis on avalanche awareness
- How to handle powder, ice and mixed conditions commonly encountered outside the tracked-out ski area
- Self rescue and emergency preparedness in the backcountry. Are you prepared if something goes wrong?
- Includes three days in the field.
- Course dates TBD. Contact us for a custom, private course.
Mountain Trip operates under a special use permit in the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests. We provide services and employment opportunities regardless of an individual’s ethnic or cultural heritage, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or physical handicap.