Update From Alaska

Hello Everyone, I wanted to give you all an update.  We are still not able to provide any names, but the climber with a broken leg is doing remarkably well in a hospital in Anchorage.  With the deepest regret, I need to announce that the other climber was found at about 18,000′, however he did…

Details

Back In Base Camp

May 13th, Base Camp The whole team is back in base camp this evening, the last of the Sherpa are rolling in this afternoon. We all had a great and worthwhile break down in Dingboche, and we’re feeling good and ready to go when we get our window of good weather. All of the climbers…

Details

Call from 10,500′

Michael called this in from 10,500′.  Enjoy!

[audio:http://mountaintripdenali2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/audio-post-2011-05-13-05-07-18.mp3|titles=Audio Post]
Share Button

Carried Up to 10,500′ Today

Michael just called to report that after taking a weather day yesterday, due to very high winds, the team had a great day today.  They made a carry up and around the most northeasterly corner of the Kahiltna Glacier and made a cache at 10,500′, just shy of their next camp.  They are about to…

Summit Attempt and Scary Situation

Hello Everyone, I apologize for the delay in posting, but the NPS requested that we keep mum until we all had more information about a situation that unfolded during yesterday’s summit attempt.  At this time, we are not permitted to share any names, so I deeply apologize in advance for the anxiety I am certain…

At the Base of the Route!

Jared just called to report that the NWB team is at the base of the route and looking forward to moving up it tomorrow. His call was very short and sweet (hey- he’s a nice guy!), most likely because they are nestled deep in the Peters Basin, with lots of steep rock and ice between…

Almost reunited

Jared waited in camp today to allow Sean to catch up with the group after he took Charles Miske to basecamp to meet a plane; Sean had the help of a private group to help escort Charles to basecamp and travel with him back to Kahiltna Pass.  It is never a good idea to travel…

Holding at camp 1

Lead guide Mike Burmeister called after eating a hot meal yesterday evening, saying that high winds kept them tucked away in camp 1 instead of carrying a load up the Kahiltna glacier as planned.  High enough winds to keep an expedition in camp are rare at the lower elevations on Denali but it is what…

West Rib Expedition

Welcome to the expedition dispatch blog for our 2011 Denali West Rib expedition. Denali, or Mount McKinley, is a challenge by any standard and the vast majority of its climbers are more than happy to attempt the West Buttress route, by far the most possible and accessible of all the routes to its summit.  Other…