Call from Team Staeheli May 1, 2011

Hello followers!  Richard Quintilliani calls in the day’s post.  There are highlights of whiteout conditions,  Enteman’s pastries, and a growing conflict with some Frenchmen.

Click to hear:  [audio:http://mountaintripdenali2011.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/audio-post-2011-05-02-04-40-33.mp3|titles=Audio Post]

Share Button

Waiting on the Wind

…to stop.  Zach called in to let us know they are all doing well, waiting for winds up high to abate before going to high camp.  They took a little 10 minute walk, roped up, to peer over “the edge of the world”, which is a view straight down the North East Fork of the…

Spotty weather

Jacob called in yesterday evening from camp 4, looking for the weather forecast.  Usually 14,200′ (4,328m) is camp 3 and camp 4 is high camp, but the team was forced to make an extra camp due to a storm that blew in while moving from camp 1 to 2; there are no prescribed camp areas…

Our Northwest Buttress of Denali Team

Denali, “The Great One” as it was called by the Athabascans, is a mix of myth and reality.  Located close to the Arctic circle and rising higher above the surrounding area than any other mountain on earth, the stories of huge backpacks, tremendous winds and epic storms are part of the fabric of North American…

1 May, 2011 05:29

We’re finally getting some nice weather and have enjoyed sunshine all morning! Our team is in camp and getting ready for our next rotation up high. We are all rested, recovered and ready to go. Irek, Gregg and Newall summitted “Kala Patar 2” near Base Camp, a worthy peak near Pumori, see photos below. The…

Heading through the Icefall this morning

Bill Allen
Mountain Trip

Share Button

Lawrence calling from 11,200′

Lawrence Cutler took command of the satellite phone yesterday and called in from 11,200′ yesterday.  It sounds like the weather was pretty marginal, so they decided not to push it.  One of the challenges of making a decision as to whether to stay or go from this particular camp is that you can’t really see…

Phone Call From Jerry at 11,200′

Though I suspect Henry rigged the game, here is Jerry reporting in from camp at 11,200′.  It sounds like the weather was a real challenge today, which is interesting, because the report from our team just 3,000′ above was that it was calm, though a bit foggy. Today the team made their “back carry” down…

Heading Up To The Ridge

I just spoke with Ben a bit ago and it sounds like things are going really well for the team and they are going to make a carry up onto the ridge that leads to high camp in just a few minutes. Yesterday, they did a “back-carry” to bring the supplies that they had cached…