The team had their final pre-flight briefing today and the weather looks good for a flight to the Union Glacier base in Antarctica tomorrow morning! This is always a big hurdle, as they are flying down to a solid blue ice runway on a glacier in Antarctica. They can only fly the big Illyushin jet down there when the weather is pretty good with light to moderate winds and good visibility. They’ll step off the plane onto a runway that is slick as a hockey rink. We’ve seen trips delayed by up to 10 days just waiting for the weather to allow for flights to go, so if they can fly on schedule, they’ll be off to a great start.
The flight is currently scheduled for 8am Chile time, so the next check in we’ll get is from Antarctica!