June 2 West Buttress team to wait on weather window at High Camp

Amidst a nasty white out, Mountain Trip guide Karl Welter called in an update from the June 2 team, who are waiting out the bad weather and doing their best to stay warm in their tents at High Camp at 17,200′.

Tomorrow, depending on the weather, they will make the decision on whether or not to descend back to Base Camp or make their summit attempt and head for 20,310′. If the past storms have been any indication for the persistence of the cycle that has just begun, the bad weather is likely to stick around.

If conditions are the same tomorrow, blowing snow, low visibility, cold and high winds, the team will likely begin the 10,000 vertical-foot descent back down to Denali Base Camp at 7,200′, where they will wait to catch a ride with Talkeetna Air Taxi back to civilization.

Think warm thoughts for the team.

Here’s Karl:

Share Button


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.