May 10th West Buttress Team — Team heads down from High Camp

Patrick O’Neill calls in from Camp 14,200′ after some nights at High Camp. The team endured high winds and very cold temperatures at 17,200′ and made a decision to retreat back down to 14,200′. Due to these extreme conditions the team has decided to not make a summit push and will begin to make their way back to basecamp early on the 26th. Patrick expressed everyone’s current exhaustion and gratitude towards the trip and they look forward to making their way back.



Share Button


  1. Patrick, love hearing your voice. It sounds like you all had an amazing journey and while I’m sure there is some disappointment about the summit, I’m glad to hear you’re all doing the best thing for your safety which is the main priority. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Amazing work, team!

    • Sounds like there was great team effort during this expedition!

      So glad y’all turned around instead of pushing to the Summit due to safety concerns !!!

      I’m sure lots of memories were made! Chris, can’t wait to hear all about this adventure!

      Well done May 10 West Buttress Team!

      Stay safe on the way back down to Base Camp!

  2. Sounds like this was an awesome trial run full of learnings and adventures. You and your team are doing the smart thing to stay safe. I’m sure if you desire you will summit in the future. There’s value in every experience and I know you will find the value in this. I’m looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing all about it.
    Climbing to 17,000 ft and enduring rough weather is no small feat. I’m so impressed by all you accomplished!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.