June 15 Denali team hoping to leave Base Camp

Mountain Trip guide Sean McManamy and client Steve Smith called in with an update on the June 15 Denali West Buttress expedition, who have yet to leave Base Camp due to bad weather, a lot of snow and poor visibility.

The team is hoping to take advantage of a clearing in the weather, and they’re tentatively planning on breaking camp at midnight and heading up the Kahiltna Glacier to Camp 1 at 7,800′. The forecast is calling for the snow to taper off and for another low-pressure system to move through the Alaska Range; if this proves correct, the team should get the window they need to move.

The team has been practicing all of the various skills they need to successfully and efficiently travel up the glacier. From ice axe and crampon technique, to ascending fixed lines, to rigging up packs and sleds to move loads of heavy gear, the team had plenty of learning (and for some, review) to keep them busy while at camp.

Here’s Steve and Sean:

Share Button
Leave Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

clear formSubmit

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.