Backcountry Skiing and Splitboarding
Mountain Trip offers guided ski and splitboard outings for all abilities in the southwest corner of Colorado, near Telluride.
The opportunities for steep, aesthetic couliors, low-angle, powder-filled glades, and beautiful high alpine bowls are endless! We can craft the ideal day of backcountry touring for all levels, as well as instructional courses for beginners and experienced backcountry travelers alike. If you’re simply wanting to avoid the crowds of the resort, or you have been eying a technical ascent and descent of a local 14,000′ peak, Mountain Trip can help you get there.
We can provide direction for you to hone your route finding and navigation in the mountains, or to gain the confidence to drop into steep lines beneath towering peaks, thousands of feet above an alpine valley.
Our guides are well-versed in avalanche forecasting, terrain assessment and rescue, and most are trained and/or certified by the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA). We can help teach you skills necessary to help you expand what you thought possible in the mountains.
Mountain Trip is the only guide service in southwest Colorado to be accredited by the AMGA and we bring our skills in guiding the world’s tallest peaks home to the Telluride area.
Contact us today to start planning your backcountry adventure.
We also offer various skills courses, detailed below, and we are happy to work with you to create customized excursions and large group outings.
Backcountry Essentials, Beyond Avy 1 Course:
- The proper use of backcountry equipment (beacon, shovel, probe, skins, AT bindings, etc.)
- Route planning, route finding, and mitigating avalanche risk
- How to ascend efficiently through using proper kick-turn and touring form
- Travel techniques in the backcountry with an emphasis on avalanche awareness
- How to handle powder, ice and mixed conditions commonly encountered outside the tracked-out ski area
- Self rescue and emergency preparedness in the backcountry. Are you prepared if something goes wrong?
- Includes three days in the field.
Avalanche Rescue Course 2018:
- A one day course designed to teach and refresh avalanche skills. CLICK HERE to read more and book your course.
- How to react in the immediate aftermath of a partner burial.
- Multiple beacon searches and burial triage.
- Mitigating further risk when evacuating an injured partner.
- Includes one day in the field and scenarios tailored to student’s needs/skill level.
Mountain Trip operates under a special use permit in the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests. We provide services and employment opportunities regardless of an individual’s ethnic or cultural heritage, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or physical handicap.