Backcountry Skiing in Telluride Colorado
As alpinists by trade and by passion, we’re extremely fortunate to call Telluride and the high San Juan mountains of southwest Colorado home. The backcountry skiing potential outside of our office in Telluride (and directly out the back doors of our homes in Ophir) is nothing short of world-class. We structure our lives to have ample time to explore the terrain to sample the great snow that abounds in the winter months; in short, both guides and office staff know our local ski terrain very well.BOOK IT!
Operating under permits from our local US Forest Service, Mountain Trip offers guided ski and splitboard touring amidst the 13-14,000′ peaks in our southwest corner of Colorado. The opportunities for steep, aesthetic couliors, low-angle, powder-filled glades, and beautiful, high alpine bowls are endless. We can craft the ideal day of backcountry touring for all levels of skiers and splitboarders, as well as instructional courses for beginners and experienced backcountry travelers alike.
Whether you want to learn the skills to explore the winter backcountry, hone your route finding and navigation in the mountains, or gain the confidence to drop into steep lines, beneath towering cliffs, thousands of feet above an alpine valley, we can help you realize your big mountain aspirations. Our guides are highly trained in ski guiding, as well as avalanche forecasting, assessment, and rescue. We love teaching the skills necessary to help you expand what you thought possible in the mountains.
We also offer introductory backcountry courses, which focus on:
- The proper use of backcountry equipment (beacon, shovel, probe, skins, AT bindings, etc.)
- Route planning, route finding, and mitigating avalanche risk
- How to ascend efficiently through using proper kick-turn and touring form
- Travel techniques in the backcountry with an emphasis on avalanche awareness
- How to handle powder, ice and mixed conditions commonly encountered outside the tracked-out ski area
Private ski touring can be tailored to best meet your vision and goals in the mountains. We are happy to instruct you in the basics, review higher level skills or venture far and wide seeking those face shots so commonly found above 10,000′ in the Rockies!
**Mountain Trip operates under a special use permit in the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests.
Mountain Trip provides services and employment opportunities regardless of an individual’s ethnic or cultural heritage, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or physical handicap.
Book This Trip!
- Enter the number of people for which you are registering.
- Select an available trip start-date (highlighted in blue) on the calendar.
- Click on the blue box that appears below the calendar.